You will be considered for admission if you meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- Two years of work experience or currently employed on a full-time basis;
- 21 years old and above and
- One of the following:
- GCE 'A' level with two passes (prior to 2006) or two H2 passes (from 2006) with at least a Grade B4 in GCE 'O' Level English Language + PQAC accredited Diploma in Pre-school Teaching or Early Childhood Care and Education (DPE-T/DECCE-T), or
- Local Polytechnic Diploma in Early Childhood Education (ECE) + 5 GCE 'O' level credits with at least a Grade B4 in English Language, or
- Local Polytechnic Diploma (non-ECE) + PQAC accredited Diploma in Pre-school Teaching or Early Childhood Care and Education (DPE-T/DECCE-T) + 5 GCE 'O' level credits with at least a Grade B4 in English Language, or
- PQAC accredited Diploma in Pre-school Teaching or Early Childhood Care and Education (DPE-T/DECCE-T) + 5 GCE 'O' level credits with at least a Grade B4 in English Language, or
- WSQ Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (PDECCE-KT [or ADKET]/PDECCE-CC) + 5 GCE 'O' level credits with at least a Grade B4 in English Language
Candidates with an acceptable SAT score may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis. Shortlisted candidates may be required to undergo one or more interview(s) and/or take written admission or other evaluation tests.
Priority will be given to preschool teachers currently employed in the field.
All applications are considered individually and the offer of admission depends on the number of places available. Admission is solely within the discretion of UniSIM.
In addition to meeting the general admissions criteria, applicants will be evaluated on academic merit and/or relevant work experience. Interviews will be conducted for all shortlisted applicants to assess their suitability in terms of their motivation and ability to complete the programme.
Building on what the teachers already know in relation to the teaching and caring of young children, the programme includes a major subject combination that equip students with advanced knowledge in curriculum design and pedagogy in literacy, arts, mathematics and science for early childhood programs. The programme also includes a minor combination of interdisciplinary subjects in the areas of human development, leadership and management, marketing and research.
Through the multi-disciplinary courses, learners will be able to critically evaluate their teaching practices and apply their understanding of young children's characteristics and needs to create environments and programmes that are healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging for all children.
The core and elective courses are selected to extend the range of professional knowledge and competencies of the early childhood professional across different disciplines and areas of study and will incorporate latest research-based evidence and practical application to enable students to stay relevant in an ever-changing and evolving ECE industry.
The programme requires 130 credit units (cu) for graduation comprising:
- 80 cu of Early Childhood Education Core and Elective Courses (15 courses)
- 40 cu of Management Core and Elective Courses (8 courses)
- 10 cu of University Core Courses.
All courses are in 5 cu unless stated otherwise.
Students are required to complete a total of 130 credit units (cu) to graduate with a basic degree, inclusive of 10 cu of university core courses.
to view the programme curriculum and class schedule.
The programme is designed for early childhood educators working with children and families.
Career opportunities in children and education related professions such as early childhood educators, curriculum specialists, enrichment programme specialists, managers, executives and entrepreneurs in children-related industries.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education with Management (BECEM) programme, who have already attained the Diploma in Early Childhood Care & Education – Teaching (DECCE-T), can be recognised as having obtained the qualification of PQAC-accredited Diploma in Early Childhood Care & Education – Leadership (DECCE-L), on condition that they complete 200 hours of Supervised Leadership Practicum conducted at any of the training agencies offering the PQAC-accredited DECCE-L course.
There are also various types of financial aid available to students who need financial assistance. Please click here
for more details.
Teaching Awards and Scholarships from the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Ministry of Community, Youth and Sports (MCYS): details available on the MOE